Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What about My Teen?



I'm sitting here in my room trying to think about what I want to write about today. I was planning to sit down on Tuesday and create a second attempt, failed on that due to exhaustion. No, not too much partying from the night before. My mind was rested and ready to roll and write last night, but, again, failure (I had to watch DWTS to see Hope Solo get voted off). So here I sit on this cool Wednesday night, relaxing while I write my thoughts down for whomever to read.

No, that's not right. My objective in this is to try my hand as a book blogger. I've had the pleasure of reading many of my Romance Biggest Winner competitors blogs, and using what I have learned from all my female Yoda's, well, if I can convince a friend why they should, or should not, read a book, then I will be able to say, "I can, and DID, do that!"

I realize that not all of my friends go for the same type of books that I enjoy, and that is completely okay. I will try to branch out of my favorite genres and authors to expand not only my library, but yours, too. One cool thing, in my opinion, is that since I do teach middle school, I keep age appropriate books in my class, and I will try to incorporate some of the YA titles into this as well. I can take this blog in which ever direction I choose to; I am the one writing it.

I mentioned in my first attempt on Monday that I have two kiddos. I have an 18 year old high school senior son who I lovingly call "Punk" because of his Halloween birthday.  He is, at this point in his life, a book hater. My other light is my 13 year old, almost in high school daughter, who I will refer to as "Bugs."  Bugs was just like her brother, she hated to read, until I found the right author and book series. I have now created a monster who has one -upped me in the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilynn Kenyon.

Mrs. Kenyon has written countless great characters, but I believe the one that set the ball in motion for Bugs was when I brow beat her into reading the first in Mrs. Kenyon's YA series, The Chronicles of Nick.  This series is focused around Nick Gautier, the central character who also plays a significant role in her adult Dark Hunter books.

In The Chronicles of Nick, we are able to see the interaction and introduction of multiple characters as teenagers. Nick is a high school student who has a rough life. His mother raises him single handily in New Orleans, and his father is in prison.  The majority of the remaining characters are all supernatural beings, and the interactions between all the characters is a fun, wacky, teenage world.

If you are looking for a different book to try and get your teen to enjoy, I can strongly recommend this series.

Infinity (Chronicles of Nick Series #1)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon


  • Pub. Date: May 2010
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Press
  • Sold By: ST MARTINS / MPS
  • Format: NOOK Book (eBook) , 480pp
  • Sales Rank: 3,925
  • Age Range: Young Adult










Invincible (Chronicles of Nick Series #2)

  • Pub. Date: March 2011
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Press
  • Format: Hardcover , 432pp
  • Sales Rank: 15,657
  • Age Range: Young Adult

No comments:

Post a Comment